2 2
ani12

Indie Games

"Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams without video game publisher financial support. Indie games often focus on innovation and rely on digital distribution. Indie gaming has seen a rise in the last few years, primarily due to new online distribution methods and development tools.

Some indie games have become very successful financially, such as Braid, World of Goo, and Minecraft."

-Wikipedia

Here, you can talk about any indie games you like or have played.

Ao Oni:

[/media]

Ao Oni is a Japanese indie horror game, created with RPG Maker XP. It follows the adventure of four teenagers who go into an abandoned mansion (which is supposedly haunted) in order to investigate. They must then escape from the titular Ao Oni, while trying to save the others, if possible.

There are several different versions of Ao Oni, and other fanmade games with a similar playstyle, including one based off of Axis Powers Hetalia. All of these are free to download, and some are in English.

Here is a link to several of the games:

http://aooni.wikia.c...n_made_versions

Note: For the Korean Oni games, you need to change your computer's language to Korean, otherwise they won't work. You also need RPG MAKER XP RTP, which is also free to download.

http://mygames888.info/aooni.html

Ao Oni's creator is noprops, Hetaoni created by Tomoyoshi, English translation by Pianodream.

That Ao Oni game looks like it's real fun.

I've played a few Indie games back when I was on Windows. Some were pretty addicting. Now I want to pick one up again. :)

Here's four more:

The Mirror Lied:

the-mirror-lied-titlescreen.jpg

"A short oddity taking only ~20 minutes to play through, about a birdy who decided to fly over your house.

The Mirror Lied isn’t a horror game, and nothing will ever jump out at you. Take a seat and feel very, very assured."

Quintessence: The Blighted Venom:

quintessence-tbv-promo.jpg

"An on-going series; the first project of Freebird Games.

Offering a full-scale fantasy adventure accompanied by an award-winning original soundtrack, Quintessence aims to achieve a unique outlook on 2D RPGs via a primary focus on the execution of story-telling and presentation."

Do You Remember My Lullaby?:

do-you-remember-my-lullaby-promo.jpg

"A non-interactive short, visual story following one person’s day during the holiday season.

Delivered in a pseudo music video format, Lullaby aims to tell a story without many dialogues."

To the Moon:

sgttm.png

"To the Moon is an indie Adventure RPG, about two doctors traversing through the memories of a dying man to fulfill his last wish."

These are all available here:

http://freebirdgames.com/

With the exception of To the Moon, each of the games are available for free, but a demo of To the Moon is downloadable for free.

Those also look really good. :)

It's too bad I'm not on Windows anymore. Maybe I'll try firing them up in WINE if I get a chance.

I don't know how in the world I forgot about THIS one:

Yume Nikki:

YumeNikki3.png

"The plot is simple: as Madotsuki, a girl that seems to have an obsession with a single, incredibly depressing video game, all you can do each day is sleep - during which you must travel throughout her dreamscape to collect "effects" and reach new areas in the world. It's extremely open-ended, with little hints as to how to actually progress; really, it's more about exploring the strange and disturbing things that go on in her mind than anything else."

Download link:

https://rapidshare.c...r|56448|R~0|0|0

Note:

While it would take away some of the fun of exploring Madotsuki's dream world, a guide is recommended if you get really stuck, as it can be QUITE confusing at first.

Yume Nikki created by Kikiyama.

That looks like a nother good one too. :)

You seem to have a huge library of these games. ;)

Now I REALLY want to finish my new PC build more than before. :D

Well, out of all of these, I've downloaded all but Yume Niiki, which I had kept getting distracted from by other games when I did have it. ^^;

Corpse Part -Rebuilt-

Images.jpg

"The game's story is set in Heavenly Host Elementary School, an elementary school that was torn down following the murders and disappearances of several of its staff and students. By the start of the series, another school called Kisaragi Academy has been built over the elementary school site. One night, a group of students from Kisaragi are telling ghost stories about the old school. They try a ritual found online in order to ensure their friendship lasts forever when they are suddenly transported by a mysterious earthquake to another dimension where Heavenly Host Elementary still exists and is haunted by the ghosts of the school's murdered children. The player takes control of the Kisaragi Academy students as they try to find their way home and survive the other mysterious forces that haunt the school."

As mentioned by the name, this is a reworking of the original Corpse Party game, which was created in 1996. While we got the PSP version of Corpse Party, which added new characters and a changed backstory, plus much better graphics, I think this may be worth a look.

Download and installation instructions here:

http://www.memorieso...pc98/index.html

Corpse Party created by

Makoto "Kedwin" Kedouin, translation of -Rebuilt- by the group Memories of Fear.

EDIT: It seems that the plot summary I posted above is mostly for the PSP Corpse Party. The original had no friendship ritual, and I've yet to see if any staff or students from the old school disappeared(I just started this up today).

EDIT 2: Ok, it seems people did disappear, though details are vague about where most of them came from.

That one sounds good me as well. My list of games to download for the new PC keeps growing in this thread. :)

Too bad most of these only work on PCs, and not Macs ^^;

I've noticed that a lot of these games that are made with RPG Maker, or something similar in the case of Corpse Party, are horror themed. I think that look is pretty good for horror because it does not seem like games that look like that could actually be scary. And then the Ao Oni pops up behind you...XD

Atmosphere is important to those games, too. When I was playing the PSP Corpse Party game, with headphones on and at night, stupidly, the atmosphere really felt tense.

So, I just finished playing through Corpse Party -Rebuilt-(don't worry, I won't spoil anything), and while I still like the PSP version better, I think this one is still worth a play through.

One thing to warn you about, though: Since you can save anywhere, make sure to make multiple save files, so that you don't accidently lock yourself into getting one of the Bad Ends(unless you want to see them) or a Game Over.

That is a good thing to know. :)

Too bad most of these only work on PCs, and not Macs ^^;

Yeah too bad they don't run natively on Linux either (I'm running on Linux). If I get some time, I'll have to try and see if I can get them to run with WINE on Linux.

if they are simple games they should work for the most party. Unless they need DOT NET and all those forsaken plugins.

Oh yeah, another VERY useful hint: Hold Spacebar to run. You'll need it at least twice, and it helps make long walks between areas much easier to deal with.

It seems I mostly play and post RPG Maker related indie games. XD And to continue that trend:

Ara Fell

afxpshot1.jpg

Plot Summary:

"Set on a continent made up entirely of floating islands where it constantly snows (but the snow melts quickly in most areas), the plucky heroine, Lita LeCotta, must endure a wannabe hero, a snarky sorceress and an enigmatic bard as they travel to deal with a cursed ring and the vampire threat. For, you see, Lita LeCotta is the Chosen One."

There's more to it than that, but I can't find a good description of it.

Download link:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/12/downloads/

Requires RPG Maker 2003(link at bottom of the page):

http://2drpg.com/2003.php

Ara Fell created by "Badluck".

Also, the new expansion to HetaOni has been released, for anyone who's interested:

http://pianodream.deviantart.com/art/HetaOni-ENGLISH-PROJECT-v15-0-RELEASE-307160911

That looks familiar. Like one of the RPG Maker games I used to play (can't remember what it was called though).

Wine is a free and open source software application that aims to allow computer programs written for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems.[2]

Wine is a compatibility layer. It duplicates functions of a Windows computer by providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call,[citation needed] and a process to substitute for the Windows NT kernel. This method of duplication differs from other methods that might also be considered emulation, where Windows programs run in a virtual machine.[3] Wine is predominantly written using black-box testing reverse-engineering, to avoid copyright issues.[4]

The name Wine initially was an acronym for WINdows Emulator.[5] Its meaning later shifted to the recursive backronym, Wine Is Not an Emulator in order to differentiate the software from other emulators.[6] While the name sometimes appears in the forms WINE and wine, the project developers have agreed to standardize on the form Wine.[7]

Its like running parallels on mac to run windows.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The short summary is that it lets non-windows systems run programs made for windows as if they were normally written for them. In my case it lets Linux run windows apps as if they were native Linux apps.

However, it's not perfect and many things still don't work right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The short summary is that it lets non-windows systems run programs made for windows as if they were normally written for them. In my case it lets Linux run windows apps as if they were native Linux apps.

However, it's not perfect and many things still don't work right.

That is because its emulation. Its not perfect.

No it's not emulation. That's a common misconception. Emulators mimic an entire independent system where the software it runs cannot directly interact with the system.

WINE can be better described as a translator that allows windows apps to run alongside Linux apps directly.

All it really does is translate system calls from Windows apps into something the Linux kernel can understand.

Remember WINE = WINE is not an emulator. ;)

LOLS. :D Are they updating wine. I thought at one point in time they stopped?

It's still an active project. Development is slow compared to other projects.

It's no easy task to reverse engineer something as big and complex as windows. ;)

Most distros are very out of date with their WINE packages too. I always download the latest direct from WINE HQ.

Which reminds me, I still need to do that before trying these games.