3 3
sp346

How About Those Other Sci-Fi Shows

On the other hand, if things don't change then the bad will never go away either. This is putting aside change that replace the bad things with more bad things of course. :P

Though what is really "bad" is in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

Take Star Trek DS9 for example. It's my favorite Star Trek series, but many didn't like as much as it wasn't much of a "trek through the stars" as Voyager and Next Gen were (among other reasons too). But I liked it. To me it was a good change with a very different feel than all the other series.

DS9 was, I think, an attempt to add some realism to a Star Trek series, or at least make a darker series, which I think they definitely succeeded in doing. If you've seen the DS9 episode "In the Pale Moonlight", you probably know what I mean.

Some people don't like that DS9 is like that, and that's fine. We all like different things.

My most recent Sci-fi series are Lost Girl & Being Human.. oh and Dark Shadows if that counts? (my dad's got me watching it--not the original black & white one, but the more recent remake from the 70s i think; its in technicolor) :tongue:

These might not be too sci-fi, but how could you guys skip over the classic Charmed, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Angel? I'll add True Blood and Vampire Diaries too only if the witches and vampires do apply to this conversation (and yes I know Vampire Diaries is a heck lot like Twilight ::gags:: especially with the latest season ending episode, but overall I believe it to be a good series and one worth checking out for the vampire loving community :smile:

I never really grouped Buffy, Charmed, and Angel in with Star Trek, Eureka, and other sci-fi shows myself.

@ani12

I remember it well. I've seen all the DS9 episodes and that was one that really stands out. Sisko had to do something that I would never see Picard, Kirk, or Janeway do and even the Federation was OK with him doing that kind of "dirty work" to get the Romulans to join forces with them. We all know the other captains would never consider doing something like that.

Also as any regular watcher of Star Trek knows, Star Trek is known for making political statements without coming out and saying it directly. Ex: like how big it was back then for the original series to have a crew made up of people of different races and nationalities when at the time it was practically unheard of. DS9 was no exception with the issues they raised and some of them where pretty disturbing.

Like the issue they brought up with the 2 part episode Past Tense. The scenario they presented really isn't all that hard to envision really happening and it also hit home to me because they presented it as happening in the 2020s which is not that far away. To make matters worse, there was even a official proposal in LA that would do the same thing they presented in their scenario, and that was proposed while they were finishing production..

That's because I haven't seen enough of Enterprise to know him well enough. It's a series I'd like to eventually sit down and watch, but I just don't have on DVD and haven't been able to catch it on TV either.

Its true, Star Trek was very progressive. They had a woman captain and a black-man captain. I don't remember any prime time shows like that at the time. I loved that they have a female lead who was strong and powerful without having to be a scantily clad, skinny, 20 something year old.

A lot of people have told me the same thing about Janeway.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I do like Janeway, but the writers on Voyager are... inconsistent in her portrayal sometimes.

Another thing about Voyager, I can kind of understand Seven of Nine not technically being a part of the crew and not getting an official Starfleet uniform, but the outfit they gave her was just...ugh.

LOLs

I've heard the rationales for that catsuit they gave her, but no matter what they say, it was clearly for sex appeal and nothing else IMO. Not that I didn't like seeing her in it, but there are other things they could've done for somebody that's "out of place" on the ship.

Yeah, especially since the Maquis, who are considered TERRORISTS by Starfleet, get uniforms, but someone taken away from the Borg collective, which basically makes her a victim, gets that thing.

Progressive by having Janeway as Captain, and then Seven of Nine in a catsuit. Had she actually chosen to wear it herself, for whatever reason, it be fine, but...ok, I've ranted long enough, you get the point. XD

I have been watching some good Shows on the BIO channel Such as Ghost Stories and Celebrity Ghost Stories. Since I do watch Ghost Hunters and GHI on SyFi.

I've seen a few episodes here and there. I thought it was rediculous, but that's just me. You probably get hear that a lot too.

Yeah, especially since the Maquis, who are considered TERRORISTS by Starfleet, get uniforms, but someone taken away from the Borg collective, which basically makes her a victim, gets that thing.

Progressive by having Janeway as Captain, and then Seven of Nine in a catsuit. Had she actually chosen to wear it herself, for whatever reason, it be fine, but...ok, I've ranted long enough, you get the point. XD

LOLs yeah. I also think the Marguis should have remained in their regular clothes instead of getting uniforms.

Switching gears for a moment, have you been able to see any episodes of Enterprise, Kenshin?

I saw a few episodes of the first season when it was first on and as unusual as it was for a Star Trek series, it was easy for me to get busy doing something else and not get back to it.

I've heard that the show gets a lot better after the first season though and I really do want to get back to it someday.

I guess I will keep my comments on it to myself for now, then.

I've got something to say about the Next Generation though. Wesley may be an obnoxious little twerp to pretty much all the fans, but I personally would rather deal with him(most of the time) than the gorgon Pulaski, due to her attitude towards...well everyone around her, especially Data.

Actually for me I'd take Pulaski over Wesley. I actually liked Dr. Pulaski. She reminded me of McCoy a bit and she really did care about the well being of others and was willing to what ever it took to help them even if it meant breaking protocol or risking her own life. She might have driven Picard crazy in the beginning but she did earn his respect.

As for her and Data, well I can see where the writters were comming from when they wrote that in. I think they were (rather badly) just trying to find a way to create some tenshin and conflict for an otherwise "happy family" where everyone was professional and got along with each other pretty well. Data is often viewed as a successor to Spok. Pulaski was IMO supposed to be like a successor to McCoy more directly while Beverly was really just a completely different doctor.

In the long run though, I'm glad with went back with Beverly. The show needed to be something different than just modernizing the orginal series.

Eh, to each their own, I guess. Maybe it's just her early episodes that she was really bad(considering her first episode was "The Child"...) .

LOLs I actually thought that forgoing the usual meet the captain first when arriving to imediately go and find out what was happening with Troy in Ten Forward spoke volumes about her. I also thought Picard's reaction was hysterical when he thought she had found the bar before anything else.

For a while I actually liked her better than Beverly, but Beverly grew on me as her character developed.

Yeah, that is a pitty. I have the shows recorded so I can catch up on them when I get a chance.