Neon Genesis Evangelion The Movie
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to go watch this movie but I've never seen the anime. Will I be able to understand the story?

Which movie are you looking at. Death/Rebirth. End of Evangelion. Evangelion 1.1, 2.2 or 3.3?  If it is Death/Rebirth or End of Evangelion then you may be lost. If you are watching Evangelion 1.1 You should be able to understand what is going on because the new movies starting with 1.1 is almost a full reboot. 

Yeah, I would say you will be lost. Those movies were supplementary to the series. The Series itself is pyschotic at times and sometimes hard to follow with the way the linear story line is set up. It would be wise to see the series first before watching the old movies. 

Yeah, Those would be Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion. Both are movies that should be watched at the end of the original series. If I recall naota's review on Eva 1.11 and 2.22 the new movies start off following the original story line and then go to a different curve. If you have access to seeing the original series first I would suggest doing that.

If we ever happen to meet up, I could let you borrow my copy of Evangelion plus the movies.