Anime And Women
2 2

23 posts in this topic

I always feel like I am one of a few women interested in anime. People always look at me weird when I tell them I like anime. Do they react the same way when a man says he's into anime? Are anime fan's disproportionately male?

If I have to sit around the office listening about the latest House Wives reality show, I think they should all listen to me talk about the influence of anime on Hollywood cartoons.

i know how that feels. even though i am a guy. but suprisingly from what i have at least seen from the conventions plus rousing adventures to bookstores it seems like a relatively close split for the anime fan base. as for the reactions its seems to me that as a guy i get more of an "are you serious???" look. though i think that that comes from the stigma that anime is like Loony Tunes. when in actuality its not. also its because of it still being a "subculture" that we get the weird looks. but fear not. if you get the chance do tell them of its influence i mean some of our cartoons influence them, i.e. Betty Boop, and now there animation influences us... like most of the Disney animators are of Japanese descent. but again this is all observation i have made, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than i can tell you better. =)

Tyki has a good point. It is true that is a subculture right now. But alot of the new stuff is mirroring Anime Style in America. From what I have seen most people lump anime into Animation But That is not the case. I try to educate people tho think that way. I think Since it is a small following right now it makes people want to think. But if you go to a convention you will see a slightly different view on anime.

Maybe its just the people I hang around. I don't know anybody else who enjoys anime, especially no women. I'm constantly trying to tell people about how great it is and trying to convince them to watch some of the mainstream stuff. No success so far. Most of my friends watch reality TV which drives me nuts.

I can see how that is. Some people don't accept anime as openly as others. I can tell you that that I know at least 5 females that like anime. Some of which are registered here. I belive that some people need to be shown anime and how it can be awesome.

True that. When I was president of the anime club back in college we held our meetings and showings in public places so people could see it as they passed by. It helped get new members too.

Back then we held our meetings and showings in public places so people could see it as they passed by. It helped get new members too.

I'm also glad anime is still a "subculture". When something is still a "subculture" you can get away with more and don't have to hold back as much (ex: not as much censoring language, cutting/editing suggestive content, etc).

That and I'm glad to be part of a subculture and not in the limelight. Sure it makes it harder to find people into it, but it makes it more worthwhile when I do.

I Agree with you on that one Kenshin. Its so true. I like the obscure activities :D

I Agree with you on that one Kenshin. Its so true. I like the obscure activities :D

LOLs "obscure activities". :noevil:

It's funny how the advertiser double under-lined "activities" for me.

Yes, I'm still broken. :broken:

LOLs "obscure activities". :noevil:

It's funny how the advertiser double under-lined "activities" for me.

Yes, I'm still broken. :broken:

That is funny kenshin. As far as obscure activities are concerned I mean Anime, Manga, Conventions, and things of that sort.

I think that anime is still considered a taboo in states for those who think animation is just for kids or nerds who cant get girlfriends or what not. Its kind of sad if you know what I mean

I think that anime is still considered a taboo in states for those who think animation is just for kids or nerds who cant get girlfriends or what not. Its kind of sad if you know what I mean

Hey nerds are becoming cool. :)

LOL that is so true. And they are the one who dropped out of college too.

I had a teacher in high school who used to say, "The nerds of today will tomorrow be the employers of the cool people."

I had a teacher in high school who used to say, "The nerds of today will tomorrow be the employers of the cool people."

That is so true.

OK I get odd looks for being a female liking anime, reading mangas, and building Gundams, playing video/computer games, modding 2 gaming forums, having a mass color streak running thru my hair, and I live in NYC.

I have pretty much broken the mold on what is "norm" I like certain reality shows, and yes I've been in the same situation where I was the only one that didn't give a rats behind as to what happened on Desperate Housewives last night, I don't care about the new line Martha Stewart has comming our for home decor or what the newest fall fashion color is.

People pretty much don't like or want to know about what they don't know, they are comfy being in their bubble and following what is "popular" hence why all thes lame ass reality shows about Millionare hosewives and all that are in right now.

ok rant over :lol:

OK I get odd looks for being a female liking anime, reading mangas, and building Gundams, playing video/computer games, modding 2 gaming forums, having a mass color streak running thru my hair, and I live in NYC.

I have pretty much broken the mold on what is "norm" I like certain reality shows, and yes I've been in the same situation where I was the only one that didn't give a rats behind as to what happened on Desperate Housewives last night, I don't care about the new line Martha Stewart has comming our for home decor or what the newest fall fashion color is.

People pretty much don't like or want to know about what they don't know, they are comfy being in their bubble and following what is "popular" hence why all thes lame ass reality shows about Millionare hosewives and all that are in right now.

Spot on Boss. Spot on. I think you have Hit the Nail on head. I like the fact you pointed out about the BUBBLE. People dislike going out of their bubble so I can see how people can see this as not being within their norm.

I agree :yeahthat::giggle:

LOLs, I don't treat anybody outside my bubble any differently. I hate everybody equally. (just kidding of course)

*Ahem*

On a more serious note, that is very true. I see it more down here than I did in NY. Down here I can't even wear my earring to work because of how it would be looked upon.

Though I have considered what it would be like for all them to find out I'm an anime junky. That'll probably go over like a fart in church, but I wouldn't care either.

LOLs, I don't treat anybody outside my bubble any differently. I hate everybody equally. (just kidding of course)

*Ahem*

On a more serious note, that is very true. I see it more down here than I did in NY. Down here I can't even wear my earring to work because of how it would be looked upon.

Though I have considered what it would be like for all them to find out I'm an anime junky. That'll probably go over like a fart in church, but I wouldn't care either.

So True. It depends on where you are. DIfferent places have different social norms. I try to go against most of the norms.!

Some norms are just plain stupid though and should be broken.

EX: anime and women

Granted there are lots of women into anime out there, but you'd never know it because the social norm is for them to not show it and thus you'll probably never know if the woman you passed on the street is a huge fan.

exactly. The only time you will know when you are sure would be an anime convention.