3 3
Ryuu

From Bestselling Novels To Manga, Which You Do You Prefer? The Novel Or Manga?

Since i really do enjoying reading so much, my favorite reading material is a good novel series. I find that now after I've read the novels and series is over, magically a manga series is started and I'm back to reading and buying the manga. But there is a difference, example James Patterson's "Maximum Ride" series. Awesome and totally blew my mind, now there's a manga series. I can't complain that is actually follows the books to a tee but I'm alil PO'd at the fact the artist choose to make Max a blonde -_- theres nothing wrong with them just she was never a blonde in the books so is irritates me alil. But what I'm getting at is when you read a novel series and then find the manga series, which do you like better and why? Even if there minor or majors problems with the manga. Is it better knowing the an artist put a face to the character you only imagined in you head looked like while reading the novel. Or is it better that you never touched the manga and let you imagination make up the likeness of the characters your reading about? What series have you read thats been turned or is in the process of turning into a manga? or anime series?

I do like myself a good novel from time to time or a good manga. I don't have that much time to sit down to read manga's as much as I like. I know what your saying about what you think when reading a series and what happens when it goes into video. But I think Drakenfyre75 should read this topic. She should have more imput than anything else since she is the resident bookworm.

OK I'm going to put my 2 cents in on this, since there is one series in particular that I've read the books, read the manga and watched the anime series of and that's Trinity Blood.

I loved the anime becuase it's anime, I loved the manga for the story line that went on after the anime ended, along with the style of drawing that was done, and the books series I can't get enough of and I wish someone else would pick it up since TP died.

Now with that said, there are things that a book series can have that just can't be drawn into a manga (as odd as that sounds) and I do get the frustration with the color of the hair being messed up, and this tends to happen when the artist doesn't talk to the author of the book. Manga can also add things in a better look/feel that a book may not get across perfectly (and this can be a huge thing with visual readers).

Pretty much I say it's the readers choice to check out both, go with one or the other.

I've read a few that have "crossed over" like Soulless, Mardock Scramble, The Ring series, The Twelve Kingdom series, .Hack, Death Note, xxx-Holic, D.Gray-Man, still need to read Battle Royale to make my conclusion on that one, there are also a few others that are still being made into mangas that are based on US authors like the Soulless series.

OK I'm going to put my 2 cents in on this, since there is one series in particular that I've read the books, read the manga and watched the anime series of and that's Trinity Blood.

I loved the anime becuase it's anime, I loved the manga for the story line that went on after the anime ended, along with the style of drawing that was done, and the books series I can't get enough of and I wish someone else would pick it up since TP died.

Now with that said, there are things that a book series can have that just can't be drawn into a manga (as odd as that sounds) and I do get the frustration with the color of the hair being messed up, and this tends to happen when the artist doesn't talk to the author of the book. Manga can also add things in a better look/feel that a book may not get across perfectly (and this can be a huge thing with visual readers).

Pretty much I say it's the readers choice to check out both, go with one or the other.

I've read a few that have "crossed over" like Soulless, Mardock Scramble, The Ring series, The Twelve Kingdom series, .Hack, Death Note, xxx-Holic, D.Gray-Man, still need to read Battle Royale to make my conclusion on that one, there are also a few others that are still being made into mangas that are based on US authors like the Soulless series.

Very Well Said Drakenfyre75. Very Well said.:D :nicethread:

I would have to say that each type of media would have its strengths and weaknesses. It all depends on your own personal preference. You may like a book series and hate the movies but I could think if it the other way.

I agree with Vash. Each person has their own views when it comes to reading a book and how it relates to in the visual media such as comics or movies. Its like the age old debate of the LORD OF THE RINGS Novels as apposed to the Movies that were made.

Some times things have to be changed for variety of reasons such as Time Constraints of the movie or tv series. Or Perhaps The color of your characters hair.

I agree that there should be communication from one medium's author another to try to keep some continuity but you know that may never happen due to a variety of reasons.

But for me, I don't care too much. I am not a stickler for minor things like that.

For me, once I read/watch something, I usually don't like to see it in another medium (except for a few exceptions). This is especially true for books because when I'm reading, my mind is at its fullest imagination and I develop details in my head. Watching that story depicted by somebody else's creative views is always disappointing as it never matches my own vision. Something like making a character blond would most likely drive me nuts.

The exception is when comics are changed to animation like the recent Tin Tin movie (big fan here). As long as they stay true to the original, I'm OK. Otherwise I get really out of sorts.

The exception is when comics are changed to animation like the recent Tin Tin movie (big fan here). As long as they stay true to the original, I'm OK. Otherwise I get really out of sorts.

I agree with you on that. That is so true. I know I am an odd ball to think differenty than others. But that is what makes me me ;)

Yeah everyone has some interesting insight in this topic, I was reading DANCE IN THE VAMPIRE BUND and when i watched the anime the queen vampire is blonde in the manga she bounce btw blonde and pink hair, annoying but if i ever wanted to cosplay her, its like which one is the most common that i would use in her hair color.....speaking of manga i just torn apart my bookcase, now im organizing them again lol

I can understand what your saying on that. I would say go with wichever one you feel is right for the cosplay. Do you want to go manga-esc or anime style. That is up to you. It will be your intrepetation on how you see that character. That is what makes cosplay so fun. :D