2 2
sp346

How Did You Get Into Anime?

So how, what brought you to the exciting world of anime?

For me, I always really liked any type of action animation. I was watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was 18! Once, while on vacation in San Francisco, I was at a museum (can't remember which, it was a really long time ago), I listened to a presentation on anime and developed a great appreciate for it. I started by just watching the feature films. They were difficult to come by (mind you, this is before streaming online). Thank goodness for online streaming, its made anime so much more excessible .

The gateway anime that got me into anime was a combination of Sailor Moon, Speed Racer, Astroboy and Galaxy Express 999. I remember watching those when I was a kid. I am speaking about 20 years ago. Then I got hooked when Cartoon Network had its Toonami in the afternoon then Toonami's Midnight Run. Those were the good old days. I miss toonami.

I grew up watching a lot of shows like Thudercats, Transformers, TNMT, Voltron, Gi Joe, etc, and when TV cartoons went to hell and became mostly crap, anime basically filled a void.

Technically Voltron was my first anime, though many don't know it was originally from Japan and heavily edited when it came over. I'd love to see the original Japanese version of it someday though.

One of my younger sisters used to watch Sailor Moon all the time and drove me nuts with it always being on TV so that didn't help me get into anime.

Vampire Hunter D was probably my first real anime that I ever saw (too bad I don't have a copy of it). It was on TV one day and I was blown away by the quality of it compared to American animation.

The other anime I could probably call my first was Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Like the other I was also just blown away by the quality of it.

Reason why I'm not 100% sure which is first is because when I just saw them, anime was popularly refered to as "japanimation" before the term dropped off in favor of anime. Also I was a kid and didn't know any better at the time too. I didn't start making the distinction until Gundam Wing, DBZ, and Outlaw Star were on.

Very Well said. I remember watching the thundercats and voltron. I even remember watching The original version of the Power Rangers in Japanses many years ago.

OK, I'm going to age myself here, but way way back when the Sci-Fi channel was first out, I think it was either Friday or Saturday nights they had an anime hour that was on at 1am or 2am but I was up late channel surfing and came across Robot Carnival and was hooked after that, I stayed up late weekend nights after that and was introduced to Vampire Hunter D, Those Who Hunt Elves, Blue Seed, ect.

I remember when the sci-fi channel came out as well. I was a youngin. lols. That is how I got hooked on Galaxy Express 999.

I remember first watching Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Samurai Pizza Cats, Speed Racer. I remember the good old days of Toonami.

I totally forgot about the Samurai Pizza Cats. that was a good one!

Oh, no. I now have the Samurai Pizza Cats theme stuck in my head....aaahhhhh the voices....I must get them out......!

LMAO. That is so true. Its a good series :D lols. At least the voice in my head are not telling me to burn things as of now :P

OK, I'm going to age myself here, but way way back when the Sci-Fi channel was first out, I think it was either Friday or Saturday nights they had an anime hour that was on at 1am or 2am but I was up late channel surfing and came across Robot Carnival and was hooked after that, I stayed up late weekend nights after that and was introduced to Vampire Hunter D, Those Who Hunt Elves, Blue Seed, ect.

You mean when it was still called the Sci-Fi channel :)

Don't worry, I can remember a time before that channel even was around. Now I'm really dating myself.

If i remember correctly it was Science Fiction then they abbreviated it to Sci-Fi then it was rebranded to Sy-Fy. Its interesting how things change.

Speaking of Sy-Fy are they still doing Ani-Mondays?

LOLs in thinking about the Sci-Fi channel and going back, I still remember then cable networks where analog and didn't have all those hundreds of channels. Hell, my first TV had a pair of rabit ears on it and got 5-6 channels on a good day. :rolleyes:

Many of the shows I watched growing up (ex Voltron) were anctually VHS rentals.

Holy Rabbit Ears Batman. lols. A friend of mine who works where I work who has a whole wall dedicated to anime. He has hundreds of VHS's, DVD's, many hard drives filled with anime. He has many collections spanning many forms of media. I should invite him here. I am interested to see what he has to say.

Outside of work he is a very busy individual. I will send him another invitation to join up. He was a member of the older version of the forums before we upgraded to this spiffy new software.

I have sent him a message but I haven't heard back from him. As I said before he is busy.